Blog 2: First Impressions

I have been having an amazing experience in Cagliari! I’m thrilled that we have such a great group of students from Northeastern - everyone is friendly, fun, and eager to experience  the island and culture together. This past week, we chose 5 words to sum up why Cagliari is a great city to live in - here are some of the words we chose (and some of my own) to describe  my experience thus far:


Weather (Clima) - The weather has been absolutely beautiful during our time here. Perfect for wandering the city, beach days, and our hike to Devil’s Saddle :)


Beach (Spiggia) - I love the beach, and the beach here has certainly not disappointed (so much so that I went 3 times in my first four days!). The water feels amazing, there are excellent views, and it’s easily accessible via bus. 


Food (Cibo) - I have wholeheartedly embraced immersing myself in the Italian culture by enjoying the food as much as possible. I’ve had excellent pasta, pizza, gelato, cappuccinos, traditional Sardinian dishes, and more in my time here thus far. I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable meals have been in comparison to back home, and look forward to trying lots more!


People (Persone) - I know very little Italian (currently training on Duolingo!!), and appreciate that people have been very understanding and considerate in communicating with me as I navigate the language barrier. Everyone I’ve interacted with has generally been kind and helpful, and helped me to feel more comfortable here. At the university, I met students Alexandra and Julia (who are both from Poland), Andrea, and Daniel. They were all very friendly, and excited to learn about us, Boston, and Northeastern. It was really cool to learn about Poland from Alexandra and Julia, learn about Sardinia from Andrea, and talk about the things we all have in common. I’ve run into Alexandra and Julia, as well as a few other university students, multiple times since meeting them, and they’ve continued to be incredibly friendly!


Architecture (Architettura) - It’s been amazing to explore Cagliari and take in the architecture, landscape, and history.  At both the archaeology museum and on our tour with Paula, I enjoyed learning about Sardinia’s rich history, and its ties to various empires, nations, religions, etc. It’s interesting to see how a variety of influences have impacted Cagliari’s architecture. I’ve enjoyed wandering the city and seeing the alleys, street art, and flora throughout (and the cats!). I explored the botanical gardens, which are home to lots of interesting vegetation and a few turtles! I look forward to seeing more of the natural landscapes and architecture as we venture to other parts of Cagliari.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1: Expectations

Blog 4: Sulcis and Carloforte

Blog 6: Sinis & Bosa